I spent a lot of time trying to get HTML5 audio to work but just could not get it functioning in internet explorer (IE). I googled. I changed the code around. I added file types. I googled again.
Eventually, I discovered that my code did work on internet explorer, just not on my computer. This led to a new quest to isolate the problem. I updated drivers. I reset defaults. I re-installed internet explorer. I could not get it to work in IE11 on my desktop running Win 7 64 bit.
Finally, I broke down and called Microsoft. I spoke to a nice technician within 1 minute. He explained to me that IE11 was designed for Windows 8 and that about 11% of Win 7 users would find it incompatible. I ended up having to go back to IE9 to get the audio files to play properly.
I know there are a lot of IE haters out there but, as you can see, it still represents a large share of desktop users. I felt that it was important to be sure that it was important to try to address this group. I am not sure that I can help the about 11% like myself with compatibility issues but, at least, I know it is not my fault and, if I am having problems that don’t seem to make sense, I will consider the possibility that the browser may be at fault earlier in the process.